SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. white vinegar
- 1/4 c. pineapple juice
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. water
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer gently 5 minutes, remove from heat.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator and serve cold.
HOT SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 2 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 c. cold water
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 5 tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 tbsp. ketchup
- 1/3 c. green onions, cut in 1 inch lengths
- 1/4 tsp. red hot pepper flakes or Tabasco sauce, optional
- 1/3 c. fresh ginger, finely shredded
- 1/2 tbsp. dry sherry wine
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Stir in remaining water.
- Stir in white sugar, brown sugar and ketchup. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a small saucepan. Add onion, pepper and ginger. Mix thoroughly and then add wine. Cook for 1 minute or until flavor from ginger becomes aromatic.
- Add onion, pepper, ginger, wine and sesame oil. Cook until it boils, reduce heat and stir constantly. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture and cook for about 1 more minute. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil to finish off.
- Serve warm or cold with spring rolls. Can also be used for sweet and sour pork or shrimp dishes.
sources: lutongbahay.com, arcane-denial, cooks.com