Flour mixed with water becomes paste. If desired, eggs can be added. Then the paste is ready for extrusion that turns out all kinds of pastas. This is what happens in large pasta factories. But we can make our own home-made pasta. Try the spaghetti noodles recipe below.
- 250 grams all-purpose flour
- 88 grams water
- 13 grams iodized salt
- 1 gram kansui
- pasta maker
- weighing scale
- mixing bowl
- plastic spatula
- cauldron for boiling
- Dissolved the kansui and fine salt separately in equal amounts of water.
- Place flour in the mixing bowl. Add dissolved kansui and fine salt and mix thoroughly.
- If mixture is dry, add some water. Knead by hand to thoroughly blend the ingredients and form a dough.
- Divide dough into patties. Pass each patty through the pasta maker using roller setting #1 and on to other settings until the dough is fine and thin.
- Change roller settings to #4 then to #6 until dough is of the correct thickness.
- Pass dough through the narrow cutter of the pasta maker to form long noodles.
- Using clothes hangers,hang noodles to dry. Sun or air-dry for a few hours until noodles are firm.
Note: If noodles will be used immediately, there is no need to dry. This is what you call fresh pasta. It takes very short time to cook, about 3-5 minutes.
For training and seminars:
Technology and Livelihood Resources
TLRC Building #103 J. Abad Santos cor. Lopez Jaena Sts.,
Little Baguio, San Juan, Metro Manila
Tel. No.: (02) 727-6205