In 1999, the Philippines ranked 3rd in world production next to Indonesia and India, and accounts to 23% of the total world produce. Coconut is grown as a major crop in many provinces, a total land area of more than 3 Million hectares is devoted to coconut production.
Product Types and Uses
Coconut oil, desiccated coconut, fresh coconut and copra are the primary products of coconut, while by-products include copra meal, activated carbon, coconut shell charcoal, coconut coir and coir dust. Coconut end products include detergents soaps, shampoo, cosmetics, margarine, cooking oil, confectionery, vinegar and nata de coco.
Ingredients: coconuts and refined sugar
- Sharp knife
- Mechanical slicer
- Carajay or sauce pan
- Stainless steel spoon
Packaging Material: Paper/Polyethylene or Paper/Foil/Polyethylene bags
- Pierce eyes of the coconut and allow water to drain.
- Preheat oven at 177°C (350°F) and put dewatered coconut until it cracks.
- Remove the coconut meat from the shell and parings.
- Slice the coconut meat with a peeler.
- Mix thoroughly 2 parts slices with 1 part sugar.
- Stand for 30 minutes and drain.
- Dry in drier at 70°C (158°F) for 2 hours.
- Toast in oven till golden brown.
source: da.gov.ph, mis.dost.gov