Yacon (smallanthus sonchifolius). A perennial herb, endemic lo the Andes. With spony stems purple projections: small, terminal yellow to orange colored flowers. A member of the sunflower family, with large, tuberous edible sweet roots, low in calories and are eaten raw. Leaves can tolerate partial shading, a trait useful for agro-forestry. It grows fast in loose, well-drained acidic or alkaline soil rich in organic matters.
Yacon is not only an outstanding nutritious source, but also has a positive impact on health for a modem society marked by excessive consumption of meat, food preservatives, junk foods, etc.. and lack of physical exercise. The strong demand worldwide, was not just due to Yacon sweet flavor and easy to eat, but also to its active components and effect on diabetes and the digestive system.
In the Philippines, Yacon was introduced by a Japanese national, in year 2000. it was first grown in some part of Mindanao and later at the Cordillera. Now, Yacon is successfully grown in the Sierra Madre Mountain areas, particularly in the upland of Dupax, Santa Fe and Southern municipalities of Nueva Vizcaya. In 2005, the Nueva Vizcay Yacon Processing and Trading Center was established. A pilot project farm was set-up in the Batangas area the following year (2006). Where Yacon plants are naturally grown and 100% organic farming is used to produce tubers for safer more natural alternative for your health.
Several carbohydrates are stored in the tubers (roots) of Yacon; fructose, glucose, surcrose, low polymerization degree (DP) oligosaccharides (DP 3-10 fructans) and traces of starch and inulin (Asamietal. 1989/Ohyamaet. Al 1990). Fresh roots contain 69-83% water, 0.4-2% protein & 20% sugar, principally inulin, a frucrose polymer. Dry roots contain 4-7% ash, 6-7% protein, 65% sugar and potassium.
Dry leaves and stems contain 11-17% protein. 2-7% and 38-41 % n i troge n – free extracts.
- It is a potential treatment tor Diabetes. Yacon contains inulin, a fructose polymer. It increases the insulin concentration in the body effectively stabilizing blood sugar level.
- It provides high fiber content that assists in treating digestive problems.
- Low in calories that make it a perfect nutritious diet for people who are suffering from obesity.
- It contains properties in the treatment of kidney problems.
- It is diuretic that helps increase the secretion and expulsion of urine.
- It reduces and suppress urinary calculi (stones) and acts to dissolve those already present.
- Yacon helps normalize the stool and reduce the pressure on your colon – hence, reduces the risk of colon cancer.
- Reduces the risk of Arteriosclerosis with resistance to insulin and dislipemia. and has been shown to be effective in feeding hypercoloric disorder, based fundamentally on carbohydrates. The oligofructose inhibits the lipogenesis and consequently, they have a hypotrigliceridemic effect.
- Helps relive joint pain, decreases joints swelling and tenderness associated with Arthritis. Gout and Rheumatism.
- Recent reports say it helps in treating Insomnia, Dysmerorrhca, Myoma, Migraine, Colic and Hyperacidity.
- Yacon is a pest resistant plant naturally grown, 100% organic that protects you and your families from harmful chemicals, that harm the body and the environment, that shortens life, hence, may prolong life.
For more information, contact:
Tel: (02) 808-7835
EDSA Garden House
Manila Seedling Bank
EDSA cor. Quezon Ave.