Vegetable Processing – Drying
- Wash fresh firm carrots, then peel by using vegetable peeler to obtain smoother surface.
- Cut into cubes.
- Steam blanch for 2-3 minutes in a steamer.
- Spread singly in wire trays and dry in a forced draft drier set at 60±5°C for at least 5-7 hours or until it feels dry (with the finger).
- Pack in clean, dry bottles, seal immediately and store in a dry place.
- Select fresh potatoes and wash thoroughly to remove adhering dirt, then peel.
- Slice or cube the peeled potatoes.
- Dip in boiling water for 2 minutes, or steam-blanch for 4 minutes in a steamer.
- Dry in a forced draft drier set at 60°C for 8 hours.
- When thoroughly dry, allow to cool for a few minutes, then place in a dry container, and store in a dry place.
DRIED SNAP BEANS
- Wash snap beans and remove unnecessary trimmings, then cut into desired sizes.
- Steam-blanch for 5-8 minutes.
- Place in a wire tray and dry in a forced draft drier at 68 – 71°C for 5-6 hours.
- Allow to cool then pack in a dry clean bottle and seal. Store in a dry place.
- Wash fresh whole ginger and peel by scraping off the skin with a knife.
- Slice into 1/8-inch thick pieces.
- Dip in metabisulfate solution (1 – 1¼ teaspoon solution sodium metabisulfate per liter of water) for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread singly on wire trays, then dry in a forced draft drier at 63-66°C until the slices are crisp and dry.
- Pack in air-tight sterilized bottles and store in a dry place.
- Wash the singkamas thoroughly to remove surface dirt. Peel the singkamas and cut into thin slices.
- Place the sliced singkamas in cloth bag and dip for 3 minutes in a boiling brine solution (prepared by mixing 1 cup coarse salt to 12 cups water).
- Spread the slices in single layer on the tray and dry in a forced draft drier set at 60°C for 7 hours or under the sun.
- Place dried singkamas in a covered container and store in dry place.
- To use, soak the dried singkamas overnight before cooking.
- Wash the cabbage thoroughly in running water to remove surface dirt.
- Remove outer leaves, cut into quarters and remove the core.
- Shred 1/8-inch thick, then steam blanch for 5-8 minutes.
- Spread singly in wire trays, then dry in forced draft drier at 66°C for 7-8 hours or until the cabbage is dry and looks rough and leathery.
- Pack in clean, dry containers and seal immediately and store in a dry place.
- Peel the onions and slice into 1/8-inch thick pieces.
- Prepare 3% salt solution and dip the sliced onions for 2 hours.
- Dry in a forced draft drier at 60°C for at least 7-8 hours.
- Allow it to cool then pack in a dry container. Seal tightly.
DRIED STRING BEANS
- Wash string beans and remove unnecessary trimmings. Cut into desired sizes.
- Steam blanch for 5-8 minutes.
- Spread singly on wire trays and dry in a forced draft drier at 71°C until the beans become brittle.
- Pack in clean, dry container and seal at once. Store in a dry place.