- 1 kg Tomatoes
- 4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Calcium chloride (lime)
- 4 & 1/4 cup Water
- strainer/colander weighing scale
- mixing bowl casserole, stainless
- thermometer spatula
- stove knife, stainless
- measuring cups and spoons liquid measuring cup
- sterilized glass jars with new caps
- Select fresh, firm and fully ripe (not over-ripe) tomatoes.
- Sort and wash thoroughly in running water.
- Blanch in boiling water for 1/2 to 1 minute or in steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Dip in cold water.
- Cut out stem ends and peel off skin.
- Pack tomatoes firmly in previously sterilized jars or bottles, leaving 1.3 cm (½-inch) from top.
- Prepare 2% brine with 0.1% lime (4 tsp salt, 4 1/4 c water and 1 tsp lime) and boil.
- Pour hot brine into the jars filled with whole tomato leaving 0.63 cm (1/3-inch) headspace.
- Exhaust to 77° C by heating the bottles filled with whole tomatoes for about 25 minutes.
- Seal completely.
- Heat again in the boiling water bath for 25 minutes.
- Cool, label and store.
For more information, contact:
Industrial Technology Development Institute
DOST Compound, Gen. Santos Ave.,
Bicutan, Taguig City
Tel Nos.: (02) 837-2071 to 82 locs 2182, 2218, 2180;
Telefax Nos.: (02) 837-3167/6150/6156