Prepare the following materials and ingredients. Choose fresh tilapia and good quality ingredients.
- 150 gms tilapia
- 20 gms onion
- 3 gms garlic
- 5 ml cooking oil
- 7 gms ginger
- 15 gms coarse salt
- 55 gms sugar
- 7 gms red pepper
- 240 ml vinegar diluted with water (1:4 ratio)
- 0.8 gm powdered whole pepper
- Select fresh tilapia and clean them by removing the scales, heads, fins, tails, and viscera and washing the fish thoroughly.
- Cut the fish cross-sectionally into the size that would fit the size of the cans you are going to use. Soak in brine solution (95% water and 5% salt) for 30 minutes and drain.
- Deep fry the fish in oil until golden brown.
- Saute garlic, onion, ginger and red pepper in cooking oil. Add vinegar diluted with water, salt, sugar and powdered whole pepper. Allow mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put half-fried fish in tin cans, then add the boiled mixture . Leave a 1/4 inch headspace from the content to the top of the can.
- Exhaust for 30 minutes to remove air, thus, creating a partial vacuum.
- Seal the can immediately in a can sealer and process under pressure at 15 lb for 45 minutes.
- Cool the cans under running water. Dry the cans, label and store properly. (Bottles with sealable caps maybe used instead of tin cans for containers.)
For more information, contact:
TRC at TLRC Building
#103 J. Abad Santos cor. Lopez Jaena Sts.,
Little Baguio, San Juan, Metro Manila
Tel: (02) 727-6205