Sausage is one of the oldest forms of processed food, and is also called by names, frankfurters, frank, weenie, wienie, wiener, dog, and ted hot. A cooked sausage consists of a combination of beef and pork or all beef, which is cured, smoked, and cooked.
Seasoning may include coriander, garlic, ground mustard, nutmeg, salt, sugar, and white pepper. They are fully cooked but are usually served hot. Sizes range from big dinner frankfurters to tiny cocktail size.
- Weighing scale for spices (0-1 kgs)
- Weighing scale for meat (1-10 kgs.)
- 11 cu. ft Refrigerator (can cure 40 kgs. meat)
- Polysealer (for sealing of plastic bags)
- Styrofoam cooler (for transport of meat products)
- Measuring cup/spoon for solid, and cup for liquid (made of plastic or stainless steel)
- Kitchen knife and sharpener
- Kitchen spoon
- Funnel (stainless steel)
- Stainless steel bowl “32
- Tray, plastic or aluminum (rectangular)
Sausage Making Ingredients
- 700 g Beef, lean, ground coarsely
- 300 g Pork, backfat, ground coarsely
- 9 g Refined salt
- 2 g Curing salt
- 3 g Phosphate (dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
- 0.5 g Vitamin C powder (sodium erythorbate)
- 62.5 g Chilled water (to dissolve the 4 ingredients above)
- 5 g Isolate Soy Protein (ISP)
- 18 g Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), hydrate for 3 mins in 1/2 cup water.
- 1.25 g Carageenan
- 40 g Refined sugar
- 30 ml Anisado wine
- 24 g Garlic powder
- 5 g Black pepper, ground
- 10ml Vinegar
- 20ml Soy sauce
- 1 g Meat enhancer
- 1.5 Vetsin (optional)
- Smoked flavor
- Natural hog casing (#23-28)
- Polyethylene bags (6″x10″) for 1 kg meat product
- Select good quality raw materials.
- Grind chilled meat using, 3.0 mm hole plate.
- Chop beef and pork at low speed. Add hydrate ISP.
- Add curing ingredients, except vitamin-C powder.
- Add all the rest of the fillers and extenders.
- Shift to a high speed.
- Add all the spices/seasonings.
- Add ground pork backfat
- Continue cutting for thorough blending 5-7 minutes cutting time, 11-15 °C emulsion temperature.
- Add vitamin-C powder in last minute of cutting time.
- Run through stuffer. Link to desired length.
- Drape in smoke and hang to dry (30 minutes -1 hour at room temperature).
- Smoke for 30 minutes at 55 °C.
- Increase heat to 65 °C for 15 minutes.
- Heat clean, tap water to 75 °C. If desired, add allura red #40 to the water for color.
- Transfer smoked sausages to the pre-heated water.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes
- Shower with cool, tap water and chill.
- Pack in polyethylene bags.
- Store in chiller or freezer.
Meat processing ingredients are available at Spices & Foodmix, tel: (02) 411-1349; 742-0826/7866, web: www.spicesandfoodmix.com
Estimated Investment Cost (Php based on 2009 prices)
- Utensils – 1, 020.00
- Equipment – 30,384.00
- Raw materials/ingredients – 337.68
- Packaging – 37.25
- Estimated total investment cost – P31,778.93
Estimated Costing and Pricing (for 1 kg)
After mixing all ingredients to the 1 kg meat, the yield of the finished product would weigh 1.3 kgs.
- a. Direct cost (meat, ingredients, packing materials, labor) – 375.64
- b. Indirect cost (transportation, water, electricity, contingency) – 44.96
- c. Estimated production cost 419.60/1.3 kg (a+b) – 322.77
- d. Product pricing
- Production cost/kg – 322.77
- Add 20% markup – 64.55
- Estimated selling price – 387.32
- Market price/kg – P389.00
- The higher the volume of production per day (more than 100 kg), the lower the production cost, thus further increasing the markup to more than 20%. The higher the markup, the higher the profit margin.
- If price per kg is lower compared with the existing market price, increase mark-up to more than 20%.
- Business name registration (www.bnrs.dti.gov.ph)
- Mayor’s/Business Permit (check your local municipality/city)
- BIR TIN (www.bir.gov.ph)
- BFAD Certificate (www.bfad.gov.ph)
- NLDC ( 914-7209 to 97, 631-2955/57)
- Opportunity Microfinance Bank ( 630-0141 loc. 222/229)
- People’s Credit and Finance Corp (www.pcfc.gov.ph)
- Small Business Corp. ( 751-1888)
Technical Assistance (Training and Seminar)
- DTI-CITC ( 942-3974, 948-2875, 941-4516)
- DOST-STII ( 837-2191 to 95, www.stii.dost.gov.ph)
- Ultima Entrepinoy ( 742-7866/0826, 411-1349)