Banana wine is liquor made from banana fruit. It can be made dry or sweet depending upon the recipe and can be blended with other wines to add body and flavor.
I. Estimated Cost
A. Cost of Materials and Equipment:
- Stove with tank – P3,500
- Double boiler – P900
- Colander, 2 pcs. @ P180.00 – P360
- Mixing bowl, 2 pcs. @ P 180.00/pc. – P360
- Weighing scale – P500
- Measuring cups – P90
- Measuring spoons – P35
- Earthen jars (8 gal. capacity), 2 pcs. @P400/pc – P800
- Knife, 2 pcs @ P70/pc. – P140
- Casseroles, 2 pcs (big) @ Php220/pc. – P440
- Cheese doth, 2 yrds. P20/yrd. – P40
B. Raw Materials
- Ripe bananas, 100 pcs @ P1/pc – P100
- Brown sugar, 4kls @ P35/kl – P140
- Yeast, 1 small can – P35
- Mother liquor, 4L @ P30/L – P120
- Eggs, [email protected]/pc. – P150
- Bottles, 3 cases @ P 400/case – P1,200
- Plastic seal, P25/100pcs. – P25
Estimated Total Investment Cost – P8,935
- Peel ripe bananas and slice thinly.
- Measure. To every 1 part sliced bananas, add 1 and 1/2 parts of water.
- Boil for 30 minutes or longer depending upon the quantity of the pulp.
- Add sugar to the extract (one part sugar to every three parts of banana extract).
- Boil the mixture while stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Sugar content should be 22-24 °C in temperature.
- Allow to cool.
- Place in clean glass container.
- Inoculate with yeast (1 tbsp of yeast to every 40 liters of boiled sweetened juice).
- Plug mouth of container with a clean piece of paper to protect from dust.
- Ferment for a month.
- Siphon out the clear fermented liquid.
- Filter and transfer to a sterilized oak barrel for aging.
- Cover hole with a wooden plug and seal with melted paraffin.
- Age for two years or longer.
- Clarify the wine by heating the aged wine in steam bath or double boiler to a temperature of 55-60 °C. While heating the wine, add well-beaten egg whites (8 egg whites for every 30 liters of wine).
- Stir for 15-20 minutes to maintain the temperature.
- Filter the wine and bottle by siphoning into clear and sterilized bottles.
III. Estimated Costing and Pricing (for 1 bottle of banana wine)
A. Product Costing
Direct Cost – P1,791.22
- Raw materials – P100
- Ingredients – P445
- Packaging material – P1,225
- Labor – P21.22
Indirect Cost – P6.25
Production Cost/bottle – P55.97
B. Product Pricing
Production cost – P55.97
Add: 20% Mark-up – P11.19
Selling Price/bottle – P67.16
Market Price/pc – P100 to P150
Note: The higher the volume of production per day (more than 36 bottles) the lower the production cost, thus increasing the mark-up to more than 20%.
If price per kilo is lower compared with the existing market price, increase mark-up to 20% or more.
IV. Registration Requirements
- Business name registration (www.bnrs.dti.gov.ph)
- Mayor’s/Business Permit (check your local municipality/city)
- BIR TIN (www.bir.gov.ph)
- BFAD Certificate (www.bfad.gov.ph)
V. Financing Facility
- People’s Credit and Finance Corp (www.pcfc.gov.ph)
- Other Financing Institutions (http://loans.mixph.com)
VI. Technical Assistance (Training and Seminar)
source: dti.gov.ph, photo from freedigitalphotos.net