Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) is made from soya beans. Soya is a great source of protein without all the fat. It is a good source of vitamin B12. Soya contains anti-carcinogenic substances which includes isoflavonoids, protease inhibitors and phytic acid. It is a good source of fiber and actually cholesterol free.
Addition of TVP brings down the cost of meat products increasing the yield and bringing down the cost for competitiveness. One kilogram of meat will give a yield of minimum of 1.3 to 1.5 kgs. A good example of recipe with TVP extenders is the Smoked Longganisa. It is a very popular product for business as “longsilog”.
- 700 g Pork lean, ground coarsely
- 300 g Pork backfat, cubed
- 1 tsp Salt, refined
- 1/2 tsp Curing salt
- 1 tsp Phosphate
- 1/4 tsp Vitamin C powder
- 1/4 cup Chilled water (to dissolved 4 ingredients above)
- 1/4 cup TVP
- 1/2 tsp Carageenan
- 1/2 cup Water, chilled (for hydration)
- 9 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Paprika powder
- 4 tbsp Anisado wine
- 2 tbsp Garlic, chopped*
- 1/2 tbsp Black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1/4 tsp Smoke flavor
- Food color as desired**
- 1/2 tsp Beef aroma
- 1/2 tsp Meaty ginisa
- 1 tsp BF blend (binder/filler)
*Garlic powder may be substituted in the level of 2 tsps. per kg.
**Prepared by dissolving 1 tsp. of food color in V4 cup water. This serves as the stock solution. Keep in refrigerator.
- Select good quality raw material. Measure or weigh all ingredients.
- Add meat to the curing mix and mix until tacky, then add extenders and mix again. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix till well blended.
- Cure at room temperature for 8-10 hours or refrigeration temperature for 1 to 2 days.
- Stuff into cleaned, fresh natural casing or collagen casing. Link to desired lengths (4 inches long). Hang in smoke for 30-45 minutes at 45-50°C.
- Dry for 1-2 hours at 45-50°C.
- Pack in polyethylene bag (V4 or V2 kg.) and store in freezer.
- Natural hog casing or collagen casing (#23-28)
- Polyethylene bags 1/4 kg- 1/2 kg.
Size/Thickness: 4″ x 8″/0.003, 6″ x 10″/0.003
Yield: 1.3 – 1.5 kgs.
You can buy all meat processing ingredients at:
Ultima Entrepinoy Forum Center
Nutrition Foundation of the Philippines Bldg.
#107 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City
Tel: 411-1349; 742-0826; 742-7866
Email: [email protected]
author: Lourdes G. Rivera