Systematic Operation of the Business
The Junk Shop Business may not be that pleasing to the eye but always remember that there’s a local saying that says “May pera sa basura! (There is money in junk!)”. One would look at the Junk Shop’s operation and say that it is quite easy and simple to operate one, but any business without an operation system would surely lead to bankruptcy.
Prior to the start of regular operations, the entrepreneur must consider the following:
1. Sourcing of Potential Clients
The Clients we are referring to are the parties to whom the entrepreneur will be selling the junk purchased, sorted and segregated. The entrepreneur must search the market for several possible recycling agents/companies to e able to get the best deal possible, such as a lock-in period with regards to the buying price of a specific item. Cost of delivery or pick-up affecting the price should always be taken into consideration. The entrepreneur must bargain for the best deal possible and coordinate with the respective recycling agents/companies as to the payment schedule and volume of deliveries or pick-up.
2. Walk-in Procedure for Retailers
The retailers we are talking about are the scavengers, with or without pushcarts, residents of nearby communities and local business establishments. To be able to avoid pilferage and to maintain an accurate inventory, listed below are the basic guidelines that each staff involved should follow. The step-by-step procedure is the common system currently applied in the business.
- a. The walk-in customer/retailer with the recyclable items will be met and assisted by the helper. The helper will inspect the items and sort it out if needed. He will be the one to put the items in the weighing scale.
- b. The OIC will then do the actual weighing. He will then fill up a “weigh slip” wherein the type of item and its corresponding weight is reflected and sign it. The OIC shall then submit the slip to the Cashier.
- c. The helper shall then transfer the weighted items to the corresponding stock area.
- d. The Cashier shall then compute the total amount due to the customer.
- e. The customer must personally receive the amount and sign the slip of paper as proof of payment.
- f. The cashier shall file all Weigh Slips on a daily basis.
3. Daily Accounting
- a. On day one of operation, a pre-determined amount shal be the basis of the Starting Purchasing Cash (SPC). This amount shall be maintained and replenished at the start of each working day.
- b. At the start of each working day, the Cashier shall count the SPC which should be the pre-determined amount as mentioned.
- c. At the end of each working day,the Cashier shall make a summary of all purchases, enter it n a log book based on the filed Weigh Slips.
- e. The Cashier shall also note down all expenses made for the day excluding purchases on a separate log book.
- f. The SPC less all purchases and expenses of the day shall match the existing cash-on-hand.
- g. The Cashier shall then make a cash count for the day.
- h. All cash in-flow coming from the Junk Shop’s sale to the clients shall be directly deposited to Junk Shop’s bank account.
4. Trading Process
It is also important that the entrepreneur prior to start of regular operations search for potential wholesales that has by-products in their businesses that would fall under the categories that the entrepreneur would be buying. It is by principle that it is best to be a step ahead of the competition, in this case, beat the competition to the products that we’re buying by gong directly to those who are selling.
Another approach is to tap scavengers by providing them with wooden pushcarts (kariton) n the condition that you get a first crack on their products and if possible at a lower cost to at least cover for the cost of the cart. Some junk shops even allow advances up to a certain amount to maintain the in-flow of materials. Although not all junk shops practice the latter, the limit on advance in this informal credit system is up to the prerogative of the junk shop operator. Some junk shops go as high as P500.00 on an agreement simply based on trust.
The sourcing of potential Clients must be a continuous process. After having decided as to whom each type of item/material is to be sold, the basic factors to consider are the following:
- Payment terms
- Schedule of pick-up and/or delivery
- Volume of pick-up and/or delivery
In any case that there is a broker or agent for the client, it should be pre-agreed upon by both the Junk Shop and the Client that all payments should be made directly to the Junk Shop owner or his/her duly authorized representative. All checks shall be made payable to the Junk Shop or it’s owner only.
Items/Materials for Recycling
The table below enumerates the different recyclable materials, itemized per category with their corresponding approximate Buying Price per kilogram or piece based on an actual market survey held this January 2007. The Approximate Buying Price is considered valuable as the ever changing law of demand and supply dictates. It is recommended during actual operation that the entrepreneur from time to time as needed conduct his/her own market buying price scan to be updated and keep up with the growing competition.
- P4.00-5.00 Old newspapers, periodicals, other newsprints, etc.
- P7.00 Bond paper (white)
- P3.50 Carton and cardboards
- P0.25-2.00 Beer, softdrinks, selected hard liquor, soy sauce, fish sauce, etc.
- P210.00 Copper (red)
- P130.00 Copper (yellow)
- P70.00 Aluminum
- P80.00 Aluminum (jalousey framing)
- P60.00 Aluminum cans
- P20.00 Aluminum bottle caps
- P65.00 Zinc
- P20.00 Lead
- P50.00 Stainless
- P60.00 Casserole
- P8.00 GI sheets
- P8.00 ordinary steel
- P5.00 Can (canned goods)
- P12.00 Plastic cups (clear/transparent)
- P7.00 Plastic (ordinary – basins, containers, etc.)
- P17.00 Plastic bottles (softdrinks, juices, water, etc.)
- P150-400/pc Car, Trucks, Motorcycles, etc.
- P2-5/pc Rice, flour and sugar sacks
To join the forum and discussions at www.entrepreneur.com.ph/board/index.php?topic=12774.0 and www.pinoymoneytalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7952.0