Care and Management
1. Ring weeding should be done when necessary.
2. Shallow cultivation of the plant to a radius of at least 1 m should be done twice a year or as the need arises.
3. Mulch the tree with coconut husks or grasses to conserve soil moisture.
- Judicious pruning should be done during the dry season.
- Cut surfaces should be applied with copper fungicides.
- Start pruning when the plants is 1.5 m tall.
- Decapitate the apical shoot to a height of 1 m to induce formation of secondary stems and bend the stems outward to promote good branching.
- When the plants are matured, prune every after harvest to remove diseased and weak branches, and shoots which grow parallel to secondary stem.
5. Flower thinning
- Remove excess cluster of flowers that emerge in tertiary and small branches, short clusters (less than 3 inches) and overcrowded clusters to prevent deformities in fruits.
||Kind of Fertilizer
|a) Vegetative stage
|b) Bearing stage
Drill or broadcast the fertilizer 1 m away from the base of the plant depending upon the topography of the land.
Pest Management In Lanzones
Pests and Diseases
- threat to the industry
- retard the growth of trees
- reduced both quality and quantity
- reduce yield
Insects Pests of Lanzones
1. Bark Borer
- Serious pest of lanzones
- Bark infestation suppresses flower emergence and reduces yield
a. Proxinonena sp.
- Injurious among species
- Feeds on bark and cambium layer
- Produce a scaly bark
b. Cossus sp.
- Mines under the bark by feeding on it and secretes a web that form a tunnel.
- Infestation occurs at the crevices between branches.
- Infestation in old trees.
c. Gold-banded Moth
- Larvae predominant on the terminal twigs.
- Dark blister-like appearance indicative of its infestation.
- It penetrates the cambium layer of the twigs.
- Scraping-off of infested bark is harder than Proxinonena sp.
2. Twig Borer (Cerambycid Beetle) – The larva bore into the stem or twig of the lanzones trees resulting in the death of plant tissue. To Control, damage plant parts must be pruned and burned.
1. Mechanical Method – Scraping and pruning infested portions.
2. Chemical Method – Application of insecticide after mechanical operations in knocking out the borer.
1. Root Rot
- This fungus disease attacks trees in areas with waterlogged condition.
- Infection starts at lateral roots and moves towards the main root up to the base of the trunk.
- Externally the leaves turn yellow and gradually fall-off.
- Provide good drainage
- Digging and burning of dead trees
- Treat infected roots and trunk with fungicides
- Serious disease affecting the Longkong variety of lanzones.
- Exhibited by bulging of the bark.
Control: Spray Copper Hydroxide(Kocide) or Copper Oxychloride)
- Harvest the fruits 140-150 days from flower formation to fruit ripening. Do the harvesting early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
- Harvest the fruits by climbing the tree and cut the ripe bunches with sharp cutters or pruning shears.
Post Harvest Handling
- sort, clean, air dry and grade the harvested fruits.
- pack the fruits in cartons or crates with liners or cushion to reduce damage during handling.
- store the fruits in cold storage at 10°C with relative humidity of 85-90 % to extend the shelf-life of the harvested fruits.
Update: July 6, 2010 – Additional Tips from Henry Labadan
The trees will start fruiting on the 6th year from plating.Cut some excess branches or portion of the tree that is too crowded be sure to apply paint on the cut-opened portion so it will not be attacked by some form of fungus. Slightly bend it out-ward most of the secondary branch as this will ideal to enhance good formation of fruit during fruiting period.
After pruning, fertilize the trees with complete fertilizer around 2 kg and 0.5 kg of potash. A good fertilization practice is to put a mixture of chicken dang,saw dust and rice hulls(if available) around the trunk of the tree evenly spread-out soil surface to a distance just beneath the tip of the branch as most of the hair-line roots is has reach this far. Then broadcast the mixture of complete and potash fertilizer on top of the chicken dung, saw dust and rice hulls mixture(or what we call organic mixture) but must be a foot away from the trunk and spread-out until a distance where the farthest branch are.
Water regularly the trees. Then when the summer comes spill it dry the trees for about 3 weeks or no watering within this period. After this, water to flooding the trees every day and in a matter of weeks flushing of flowers will come-out soon.
Try to remove the dead tree and burn it including leaves. Spray Systemic fungicide regularly to all trees you have as preventive practice. Don’t forget to include also insecticide and foliar to make you trees healthy and free from all pests. Regularly prune your trees specially to over-crowded ones to enhance good air circulation. This can prevent a living place of insect, fungus and other pest.
Put more potash fertilizer. This can make the fruit more sweeter. Try to harvest the fruit when mostly all the fruit in the bunch are already golden yellow color indicative that the fruit has reach maturity and ripeness.
sources: by Orlando Pascua of hvcc.da.gov.ph, msc.edu.ph