Smoked tilapia is a delicacy not only in our country but also in Thailand and Nigeria. Tests indicate that smoked tilapia is highly acceptable among Filipinos.
Procedure in smoking tilapia:
- Remove the gills and entrails
- Wash and soak in brine solution (1:3 salt to water) for 30 minutes to one house depending on the size of fish.
- Boil in 10% brine solution (1 part salt to 9 parts water) for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Smoke for 30 minutes at 43-66 °C.
- Pack in plastic bags and refrigerate.
source: STII and PCARRD, photo from ww.capastarlac.gov.ph