The common method of processing tilapia in case of oversupply are drying, salting, smoking and “buro” making. Sundrying (dalangdang) is the most common processing method practiced in Region 02. It is also the simplest and least expensive way to preserve tilapia. The steps in drying fresh tilapia are:
- Split the fish into butterfly fillets along the backbone with a sharp knife.
- Remove the gills and internal organs or the entrails.
- Wash fish to remove all traces of blood.
- Immerse split fish into a brine solution of 1 part salt to 3 parts water for 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of fish
- Drain the fish and dry under the sun for 1 to 2 days.
- Store dried tilapia in a cool, dry place.
source: STII and PCARRD, photo from www.foodspotting.com