How to Make Vinegar from Squash
- Wash the peels and core of squash (kalabasa).
- Add three (3) parts water for every part of peel. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Strain. For every 4 cups of strained liquid from boiled peels/core, add 1 ¼ cups sugar.
- Boil again for 20 minutes, cool. Transfer to a container then add one (1) tsp. yeast.
- Ferment for seven (7) days until alcohol content is about eight (8) percent by volume.
- Pour gently the alcoholic solution into another container so as not to disturb the sediment.
- Add one (1) cup of vinegar starter (available at Bureau of Plant Industry) for every four (4) cups of the solution for vinegar fermentation.
- Set aside from 15-20 days, after which, determine the acidity. (This vinegar usually has an acidity between 6-7 percent as compared to commercial brands of 4 percent acidity).