How to Make Vinegar from Rice Washings (Hugas-Bigas)
- White sugar
- Rice wash
- Strain the second rice washing in a clean cloth.
- For every cup of rice water, put 3/4 cup white sugar. Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Cook this in a double boiler for 20 minutes. Cool.
- Transfer in a gallon or jar.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon yeast for every 4 cups rice water.
- Allow to ferment in 4-7 days or until bubbles disappear.
- Age the vinegar in a jar or demijohn. Set it aside for a month or until the desired acidity is attained.
- Filter and boil in a double boiler before bottling.
- If a clear vinegar is desired, put 2 beaten eggwhites for every 40 cups vinegar and filter.