- 1 kg tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- sodium benzoate (optional)
- stainless/enameled kettle bowl
- measuring spoons wooden ladle
- casserole, stainless chopping board
- blender (optional) knife, stainless
- stove colander
- strainer, stainless thermometer
- weighing scale
- sterilized glass jars with PVC caps
- Sort and wash ripe, fleshly red tomatoes.
- Blanch for 30 seconds and immediately dip in cold water. Remove skin and cut into halves (crosswise).
- Strain the seeds through fine mesh stainless steel strainer.
- Discard the seeds. Osterize and/or cut the pulp into small pieces.
- Mix the juice and pulp. Cook the mixture to soften the pulp by boiling for 10-15 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Strain and measure the puree.
- Add 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp sugar to every cup of tomato puree.
- Transfer the strained puree into a casserole and cook over a low flame for 15 minutes.
- Continue cooking with occasional stirring until a pasty consistency is reached. Add cornstarch previously dissolved in water (if desired).
- Fill while hot (80° C) in sterilized bottle. Seal tightly.
- Pasteurize in boiling water bath for 35 minutes.
- Cool, label and store.
For more information, contact:
Industrial Technology Development Institute
DOST Compound, Gen. Santos Ave.,
Bicutan, Taguig City
Tel Nos.: (02) 837-2071 to 82 locs 2182, 2218, 2180;
Telefax Nos.: (02) 837-3167/6150/6156