- 1 kg Tomatoes (thick, fleshy, red ripe)
- 2 cup Refined sugar
- 1 tsp Lime
- Confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Calamansi extract (optional)
- Cellophane or plastic bags
- Wash, blanch tomatoes for 30 seconds and dip in cold water immediately.
- Drain and peel tomatoes.
- Cut crosswise into halves and remove the seeds.
- Prepare 0.1% lime (approximately 1 tsp lime per 1 liter water) and soak tomatoes for 3 hours.
- Wash thoroughly and dip in boiling water.
- Drain tomatoes.
- Mix tomatoes with refined sugar at a 1:1 proportion.
- Add kalamansi extract if desired.
- Cook until syrup becomes thready.
- Lay on trays and cool.
- Roll in confectioner’s sugar (if desired).
- Pack in cellophane or plastic bags and seal.
- Label and store in cool, dry storage room.
Simple Tomato Candy Recipe
- Ripe, red tomatoes with thick flesh
- White sugar
- Wash, blanch in hot water and peel.
- Slice crosswise in the middle, remove seeds.
- Add sugar in the same volume as tomatoes and leave overnight.
- Boil in low fire until the tomatoes become clear.
- Drain the syrup.
- Spread the candy on a tray and dry under the sun or in an oven (cabinet dryer) until almost dry.
- Roll over white sugar and dry again until crispy.
- Wrap each in cellophane or place in plastic bags or jars. Seal.
For more information, contact:
Industrial Technology Development Institute
DOST Compound, Gen. Santos Ave.,
Bicutan, Taguig City
Tel Nos.: (02) 837-2071 to 82 locs 2182, 2218, 2180;