Chorizo or sausage is a term encompassing several types of pork sausage originating from Iberian Peninsula. Spanish chorizo is made from coarsely chopped fatty pork (70% lean and 30% fat) usually seasoned with chili, paprika and garlic. The mild Spanish paprika gives this sausage a characteristics flavor. This can be served with fried eggs and fried rice and “atsara”, a special “longsilog” dish which is good for business.
One kilogram will yield 20 serving portions of longsilog. One serving of longsilog could be sold at P30-P35 per piece. Gross sale ranges from P600-P700 per kilogram. Fifty (50%) is allocated for the cost of rice, eggs and atsara. Gross sales of P600 will have a profit of P300.
You Will be Needing
- 500 gms Beef lean, ground finely
- 500 gms Pork lean with fat, ground finely
- 1 tbsp Salt, refined
- 1 tsp Curing salt
- 1 tsp Phosphate
- 1/4 tsp Vit. C powder
- Dissolve the 4 ingredints into 1/4 cup Chilled water
- 1/4 cup TVP
- 1/2 tsp Carageenan
- 1 tbsp Isolate
- 1/2 tsp Pro-plus
- 1/4 cup Chilled water
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp White pepper
- 1/2 tsp Meat enhancer
- 2 tbsp Peanuts, boiled or toasted, ground coarsely or chopped
- 2 tbsp Anisado wine
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Smoked flavor
- 1/2 tsp MSG (vetsin)
- 1/2 tsp Beef aroma
- 1 tsp BF blend
- Select good quality raw materials.
- Measure and weigh all the ingredients.
- Mix meat with first four ingredients: salt, curing salt, phosphate and vit. C powder in chilled water. Mix until tacky. Add extenders and mix until well blended.
- Combine seasonings, add and mix by hand or mixer until tacky.
- Cure overnight in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours.
- Stuff into casing (4 inches long); Link into 4 inches long.
- Smoke for 2-3 hours in a smokehouse (if available) or place in an oven or turbo cooker at 200°F for 20-30 minutes to allow color development. Cooking in water may also be done by immersion in 71°C (160°F) water with little salt, pepper and oregano. Allow an hour per inch diameter of the sausage until it reaches an internal temperature of 68°C (150°F).
- Cool in chilled water, package, weigh and label. Refrigerate or freeze. Slice thin for sandwiches.
- Yield is 1 kg.
For ingredients, contact Spices and Foodmix House at 411-1349, 742-7866, 742-0826.