- santol fruit
- lye (commercial flakes of sodium hydroxide)
- aluminum tray
- wooden spoon for stirring
- bamboo or wire tray
- casserole (stainless or porcelain)
- Wash the santol in running water.
- Blanch in boiling water for about 3-5 minutes.
- Dip in 5% lye for 5 minutes in almost boiling temperature (94°C), more or less one cup sodium hydroxide in 3 liters water.
- Put immediately in running water, scrape off the peels.
- Slice into pieces, remove seeds.
- Prepare the syrup — 1/2 cup sugar for every cup water, and add the santol — enough to be covered in the container.
- Boil the santol in this syrup for about 3-5 minutes, soak in the syrup overnight.
- Remove the syrup.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar for every 3 cups syrup and boil until thick.
- Put the santol in this syrup, leave overnight.
- Repeat this process three times.
- Remove the santol from this last soaking in syrup and rinse in running water.
- Spread on a tray and dry in the sun or in a solar drier.
- Pack in plastic bags storing.