- 1 kg green matured banana
- (saba variety)
- 10 g salt (2 tsp.)
- 480 mL water (2 c)
- 3 L oil
- knife (stainless)
- chopping board
- measuring spoons/cups
- banana slicer
- absorbent paper
- plastic sealer
- basin/mixing bowl
- thermometer (100 – 250oC)
- weighing scale
Packaging Materiaks : PE/PP bags
- Prepare 2% salt solution (approx. 2 tsp. salt:2 c water).
- Wash and soak bananas in chlorinated water (100 ppm) for 10 minutes.
- Peel and slice thinly (0.05 – 1 mm) green, mature bananas crosswise and soak for 2 hours in the salt solution.
- Drain and put the banana slices on wire-mesh container.
- Heat cooking oil to high temperature (150-175 °C). Fry the slices with occasional stirring until light brown or when bubbling ceases.
- Cool in trays lined with absorbent (or tissue) paper.
- Sort out chips that stick together.
- If soaking of the slices in salt solution is omitted, you may dust the cooled fried chips with refined salt (1.5% by weight of final chips). Powdered salt may also be used.
- Pack in polyethylene plastic bags or in plastic bottles for retail.
- Seal and label.