- Pineapple pulp 11.4kg
- Papaya pulp 11.4kg
- Cane sugar 22.8kg
- Apple pectin (150 grade) 171g
- Citric acid 182g
- Fresh ground ginger 214g
- Remove and discard the ends of the pineapples. Remove the skin and take out the central core. Prepare a pulp by passing the fruit pieces through a pulping machine fitted with a 100mm screen sieve.
- Peel the papaya, halve the fruits and remove the seeds. Pulp in the pulping machine using a 100mm screen sieve.
- If ginger root is used as a flavouting, peel and macerate it using a Kenwood blender until it has a very fine paste-like consistency.
- Place the weighed fruit pulp into a stainless steel steam jacketed kettle and heat to about 43°C, stirring constantly.
- Turn off the heat. Add the pectin (that has previously been mixed with about ten times its weight with some of the pre-weighed sugar) and stir continuously to prevent the pectin from clotting.
- When the pectin has dissolved, add the remainder of the sugar and dissolve completely in the mixture. Turn on the heat and stir the mixture until the jam starts to boil vigorously. Continue stirring until the jam is almost at its finishing point (105°C).
- Add the citric acid and ginger if it is being used.
- After the jam has reached 105°C, it is tested for the end point. This is determined by removing samples of the jam at intervals and measuring the total soluble solids (TSS) in a refractometer. The sample must be cooled before it is measured. When the required TSS has been reached, the jam is taken off the heat and any surface foam is removed.
- The hot jam is quickly poured into hot sterile jars. The jars are sterilized by boiling in water for 30 minutes. They should be hot when they are filled to avoid them cracking when the hot jam is poured in.
- The jars are fitted with sterile lids and sealed. The jars are then inverted for about 3 minutes to ensure that the lids are sterilized.
- The filled jars are cooled in clean running water until they are slightly higher than room temperature. They are air-dried and labeled.
For more information, contact:
BLTD Technology Resource Center
2nd Flr. Jacinta 2 Bldg., EDSA, Guadalupe Nuevo, Makati City
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (02) 822-5087;
Truckline: (632) 822-54-18 loc. 207, 204 & 201