Oyster sauce is found in many Cantonese stir-fry dishes. Refrigerated, this sauce will keep for several months.
- 2 cups of fresh oyster meat
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of bottled clam juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green onion, white portion only
- 1 slice of fresh ginger, 1/8-inch thick
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Prepare meat and vegetables: Wash and drain the oyster meat, and peel and crush the ginger.
- In a saucepan, bring the oyster meat, water, clam juice, salt, garlic, green onion and ginger to a boil on medium-high heat. Adjust the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix together the soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and 3 tablespoons of water.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid from the saucepan and gradually add the cornstarch/sugar/soy mixture, stirring as you do so. Simmer for about another 10 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Set a strainer (sieve) over a large bowl and pour the oyster mixture through it, keeping the liquid and getting rid of the solids (this includes the cooked oysters).
- Refrigerate in a tightly sealed jar.
Yield: about 4 cups