Cater to the health conscious by providing them with all-natural, effective and organic insect repellant.
No matter where you are or what time of the year it is, mosquitos will always be a bane to our existence. Catering to a niche market is an added advantage; an example would be IndigoBaby, an online baby boutique whose top-selling product is the baby-friendly Shoo Fly Don’t Bother Me insect repellant. “We added lavender to our formulation to mask the citronella, which can be quite foul-smelling, “says Denise Gonzalez, co-founder of IndigoBaby.
Startup capital is P40 per bottle, and time to finish is a few minutes to produce a single bottle.
- Oils including citronella, eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, and other scents that naturally repel insects, P72 to 361 per 100ml. Available from chemical stores.
- Spritz bottles, P29 to 40 each
- Olive or vegetable oil, P69 to P200 per liter.
- Carefully measure 10 to 15 drops of any essential oil of your choice (feel free to combine oils to create a unique scent), and pour it into spritz bottle.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Shake the mixture to blend.
Tips: As with anything you put on your body, be sure to test a small amount of the mixture on an area of your body, say your forearm. If, after a day, there are no adverse reactions, you should be good to go.
How Much Will You Make
It will cost about P40 to produce a bottle. You can mark this up about 200 times total cost — after adding labor, packaging, and overhead — and still be competitive in the market. Expect to break even after selling about 100 bottles.
source: Katrina Tan, www.entrepreneur.com.ph