In this section, you will learn the techniques of casting and finishing the 2-piece mold.
Materials and Tools:
- 500g Resin
- 12g Catalyst for resin
- 88g Styrene monomer to serve as resin thinner
- 18g Cobalt
- 100g China talc (to be mixed with the resin)
- 18g Stop sag
- 100g Dyes or toners (flesh, yellow, pink, white, green, dark green, brown)
- Paint brush
- Mixing bowl
- Rubber band
Reminder: Always mix the accelerator (cobalt) into the resin first and mix thoroughly before you introduce hardener into the mixture. NEVER mix raw accelerator and hardener – it will BURN SPONTANEOUSLY!
- In a bowl, mix resin and a small amount of China talc. The amount of resin depends on the size of the figurine. You will need 500g of resin to fill the 4 1/2 inch nativity set mold you have just made.
- Add stop sag to regulate the flow of the resin. Mix well.
- Add styrene monomer. This will make the mixture less viscous and allow it to easily flow into and fill all corners of the mold.
- Add a small amount of cobalt to hasten hardening and drying of the casting material.
- To further speed up hardening of the casting material, add catalyst. The casting material is now ready.
- With a spatula, apply casting material to one of the two halves of the mold. Use paint brush for finer application. Do the same with the other half of the mold.
- Apply casting material to every detail of the mold so that all parts of the figurine will be cast.
- Fit the molds together with the support and tie with rubber band. Tie tightly to keep the molds in place.
- Dry the molds for 15-20 minutes.
- When dry, separate the support and molds. Take out the formed cast.
- Using a knife, scrape off excess cast at the sides of the dry figurine. Polish with a piece of sandpaper.
You will need a paint brush and paints or dyes of different colors for finishing. Apply the paints as follows:
- Flesh color for the face of Joseph, Mary and the infant Jesus.
- Yellow top provide contrast to the various parts of the manger.
- Pink and white for the robe of Mary and the crib.
- Green for the robe of Jesus.
- Dark green for the shawl of Mary and some parts of Joseph’s robe. Brown for the hair and features of the face, and also for the back of the manger and its surroundings.
Let paint dry after each application.
For supplies and materials:
Polymer Products (Phil.) Inc.
11 Joe Borris St., Bo Bagong Ilog, Pasig City
Tel: 671-9837 to 39