- Kalabasa peels and core
- Ammonium sulfate
- Glacial acetic acid
- Nata starter (available at ITDI)
- Wash the peels and core of kalabasa, add 3 parts water for every part of peel/core. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Strain then for every 4 cups of strained liquid from boiled peels/core, and 2/3 cup sugar and 1-1/4 tsp. ammonium sulfate.
- Heat for 15 minutes, then cool. Add 1-1/4 tsp. acetic acid to adjust the acidity favorable to the growth of the nata organism then add 2/3 cup of nata starter (available at ITDI) for every 4 cups of kalabasa mixture.
- Set aside for 10-15 days, then harvest the nata product.
- Cook one kilo of nata in one of kilo sugar to come up with delightful dessert.
For supplies and materials, and more information, contact:
Industrial Technology Development Institute (ITDI)
DOST Compound, Gen. Santos Ave., Bicutan, Taguig City
Tel Nos.: (02) 837-2071 to 82 locs 2182, 2218, 2180
Telefax Nos.: (02) 837-3167/6150/6156