How to Make Nata de Kalabasa (Squash)
- Wash the peels and core of kalabasa.
- Add three (3) parts water for every part of peel/core.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Strain, then for every 4 cups of strained liquid from boiled peels/core.
- Add 2/3 cup sugar and 1 & 1/4 tsp ammonium sulfate.
- Heat for 15 minutes, then cool.
- Add 1 & 1/4 tsp acetic acid to adjust the acidity favorable to the growth of the nata organism.
- Add 2/3 cup of nata starter (available at Bureau of Plant Industry) for every 4 cups of kalabasa mixture.
- Set aside for 10-15 days, then harvest the nata product.
- Cook in sugar to come up with nata dessert.