Make and sell homemade cleaning solutions, which can be a cheaper alternative to those that are commercially available.
The market demand for these consumables is large and steady because they are used in large quantities everyday. Another thing is that liquid detergents made in this manner are more versatile. Aside from being used for cleaning dishes, floor, windowpanes, and washrooms, they can also be used for ordinary laundry in the same way as commercial-made detergent powder.
Start-up capital is P1,000-P2,000 for 3 liters, and time to finish is 2 to 3 hours.
- Sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES), P8.50 per 500 ml
- Sodium chloride or iodized salt, P13.50 per 500 gm pack
- Cocodiethanolamide (CDEA), P72.50 per 500 ml
- Ethyl alcohol, P54.50 per 500 ml
- Water-soluble dye, P35 per 400 gm pack
- Benzalkonium chloride, P109.50 per 500 ml
- Degreaser, P30 per 120 ml
- Fragrance, P161.40 per 120 ml
- Distilled or de-ionized water, P14.19 per liter
- Wooden or plastc ladle
- Medium-sized basin
- Kitchen scale
- Measuring spoon and cups
- Gas stove
- 330 ml PET bottles, P5.50/pc (available at Cachetrade in Cubao, QC)
- Put 1.4 liter of distilled water in a pot and boil the water for 15 minutes. You have to use distilled water or de-ionized to avoid contaminating the liquid detergent mixture. Tap water as substances that can cause the mixture to eventually emit a bad odor.
- While waiting for the mixture to boil, put the SLES (150g) and iodized salt (80g) into the basin. Mix them thoroughly with the ladle until iodized salt is completely dissolve.
- Once the water has boiled enough and the salt has completely dissolved, gradually pour the water into the liquid detergent mixture. Stir. Keep on stirring until the SLES is dissolved. The liquid detergent mixture becomes foamy when stirred, which means that the SLES is being dissolved.
- Now add to the mixture the CDEA (60ml), benzalkonium chloride (0.01 ml), degreaser (40 ml), and the fragrance (10 ml).
- Dissolved the water-soluble dye (10g) in ethyl alcohol (60 ml) then add to the mixture. Make sure that the fragrance and dye are properly matched.
- After pouring in all the chemicals, mix until everything is dissolved. Let the mixture cool until the bubbles subside. Then add another liter of cool distilled water. Once the mixture has sufficiently cooled down, the liquid detergent becomes clear. You can now pour the finished product into the PET bottles.
- Cap the PET bottles containing the liquid detergent and set them aside. The yield of the liquid detergent mixture is 2.77 liters. Using 330 ml bottles, you can produce 8 bottles of liquid detergent from it.
How Much Will You Make
To determine the selling price for your liquid detergent, add a markup of 40% to 45% to the total production cost of each bottle.
List of chemical manufacturers and retailers
source: Mishell Malabaguio, www.entrepreneur.com.ph