Sausage is a word derived from the Latin word “salsus” which means salting. For Filipino’s it is popularly known as “longganisa”.
For a hog raiser slaughtering a hog and processing the meat will give a value added cost for the carcass. Meat is ground coarsely or finely and for every kilogram of longganisa, lean meat should be 100 grams and backfat is 300 grams. One kilogram of cooked longganisa will give a yield of 16 serving portions of “longsilog” which can be sold at P300 per serving portion.
Gross sales of one kilogram of longsilog is P480. Profit from this product is P240.00.
- 700 g Pork lean, ground coarsely
- 300 g Pork backfat, coarsely
- 1 tbsp Salt, refined
- 1/2 tbsp Curing salt
- 1 tsp Phosphate
- 1 tsp Vitamin C powder
- 1/4 cup Chilled water (To dissolve the 4 ingredients)
- 1/4 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1/2 tsp Carageenan
- 1 tbsp Isolate
- 1/4 Chilled Water
- 1 tbsp Sugar, refined
- 2 tbsp Anisado wine
- 6 tbsp Garlic, ground
- 1 tbsp Black pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Meat enhancer
- 1/2 tsp MSG (vetsin)
- Select good quality raw material.
- Grind meat and backfat coarsely.
- Chill meat and back fat for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Measure or weigh all ingredients.
- Add meat to the curing mix and mix until tacky, then add extenders and mix again. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly until homogenous mixture attained.
- Cure at room temperature for 8-10 hours or refrigerator temperature for 8-12 hours.
- Stuff into cleaned, fresh natural casing or collagen casing. Link to desired lengths ( 2-4 inches long).
- Pack in polyethylene bag ( 1/4 or 1/2 kg.).
- Store in freezer, (can be kept in freezer for 3 months)
- Yield: 1.3 kgs
- Natural hog casing or collagen casing (#23-28)
- Polyethylene bags for 1/4 kg. – size 4″x8″ and 1/2 kg. – size 6″x10″, with both thickness at 0.003
All ingredients above are available at:
Spices and Food Mix House
107 E. Rodriguez Ave., Quezon City
Phone: 742-7866/0826, 411-1349
author: Lourdes S. Rivera, Marid Digest, photo from chamzc.blogspot.com