Sausage is one of the oldest forms of processed food, and is also called by names: frankfurters, frank, weenie, wienie, wiener, dog, and red hot. A cooked sausage that consists of a combination of beef and pork or all beef, which is cured, smoked, and cooked. Seasoning may include coriander, garlic, ground mustard, nutmeg, salt, sugar, and white pepper. They are fully cooked but are usually served hot. Sizes range from big dinner frankfurters to tiny cocktail size.
- 1.5 kg Beef lean, ground
- 0.6 kg Pork lean, ground
- 0.50 Pork backfat, ground
- 100 g Salt refined
- 5 g Curing salt
- 8 g Phosphate
- 1.5 g Sodium erythorbate
- 13 g Carageenan
- 340 g Potato starch
- 100 g Skimmed milk
- 75 g TVP, dry
- 225 g Water (for hydration of TVP)
- 26 g Isolated soy protein (ISP)
- 130 g Water (for hydration of ISP)
- 80 g Sugar refined
- 7.5 g White pepper
- 2 g Onion powder
- 2 g Garlic powder
- 1 g Red cayenne powder
- 2.5 g Paprika
- 1.75 g Nutmeg
- 1.75 Ginger powder
- 5 g MSG
- 1.85 kg Ice, crushed
- 1 g per liter of water Allura red no. 40 (optional)
- #21 1 Strand Hotdog casing
- 6″x8″ Polyethylene bag
- Select good quality raw materials.
- Grind chilled meat using, 3.0 mm hole plate.
- Chop beef and pork at low speed. Add hydrate ISP.
- Add curing ingredients, except sodium erythorbate.
- Add half of ice required.
- Add all the rest of the fillers and extenders.
- Shift to a high speed.
- Add all the spices/seasonings.
- Add ground pork backfat.
- Add the remaining ice.
- Continue cutting for thorough blending 5-7 minutes cutting time, 11-i5° C emulsion temperature.
- Add sodium erythorbate in last minute of cutting time.
- Run through stuffer
- Link to desired length.
- Drape in smoke and hang to dry (30 minutes – 1 hour at room temperature).
- Smoke for 30 minutes at 55° C.
- Increase heat to 65° C for 15 minutes.
- Heat clean, tap water to 75° C. if desired, add allura red #40 to the water for color.
- Transfer smoked sausages to the pre-heated water.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes:
- Shower with cool, tap water and chill.
- Pack in polyethylene bags and store in chiller or freezer.
You can buy all meat processing ingredients above at:
Spices and Food Mix House
107 E. Rodriguez Ave., Quezon City
Phone: 742-7866/0826, 411-1349
Author: Lourdes S. Rivera, Marid Digest