Seaweeds must be harvested from the sea very early in the morning or while the tide is still low.
- Wash the seaweeds very well, drain and dry (Spread over a wire or bamboo screen for the purpose) for a week.
- To remove the fishy odor and taste, soak and dry the seaweeds in fresh water for 5-10 minutes, and dry again in the sun until it becomes dirty yellow in color.
- Bleach in 1 liter of water with 1 tbsp. vinegar until it turns olive green in color.
- Put again in the sun until it turns light brown.
To extract agar:
- Put 1 kilo dried seaweeds in 1 liter water with 1 tbsp. Vinegar (or more effective, in 3-1/2 liter water, 80 ml. 0.1 N sulfuric acid (H2SO4)
- Boil and constantly stir for 1 hour.
- Strain in muslin cloth while hot.
- Allow to cool in room temperature for 5 hours.
- When it has hardened, slice into desired sizes.
- Put in ice sprinkled with salt for 2-3 days, or in a freezer overnight.
- Next day, thaw the frozen seaweeds and allow to dry.
- Put again in the sun until the desired fineness is attained.
- When it cools, it is then ready to cook or bring to market.