For the pastry:
- 125 gm [1/2 cup] unsalted butter – at room temperature
- 90 gm [1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp] caster sugar (superfine)
- 250 gm [1 cup + 2/3 cup] plain flour
- 1 egg – beaten
- 1-2 Tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- 2 1/3 cup milk
- 4 eggs – separated
- 100 gm [1/2 cup] caster sugar (superfine)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
To make the pastry:
- Combine flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter with two butter knives or a pastry cutter. Then rub in the butter with your fingers until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Mix in lightly the egg and knead the dough until it just about comes together. If necessary sprinkle cold water if the dough seems dry.
- Knead for a short while and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic or cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out thinly on a floured table top to a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Line a 23 cm (9 inch) pie pan or fluted flan tin making sure to press the pastry well into the sides.
- Put the tin on a baking sheet and bake blind: line the pastry with foil and baking beans.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and baking beans then return to oven to bake for another 5 minutes.
- Trim the excess pastry from the edge of the flan tin with a knife.
To make the filling:
- Turn the oven temperature down to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and egg yolks.
- Stir in the milk into the mixture.
- Whip the egg white to soft peaks and fold into the milk/egg yolk mixture.
- Place the pastry lined flan tin on a baking sheet.
- Pour the filling in the tin and bake for 20 minutes until the top is brown.
- Bring down oven temperature to 110°C/250°F and bake for a further 1 hour until the custard is just set. The center should wobble a little.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- 2 single 9 inch pie shell or 1 deep dish shell
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- Melt butter. Combine melted with 2 cups sugar. Mix thoroughly.
- Add 4 eggs mix thoroughly; add one can evaporated milk and 1 tablespoon vanilla.
- Pour mixture into 2 single pie shells or one deep dish shell.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until pie stops bubbling.
NOTE: Watch oven on baking time. Taking out too soon will not give pie firmness needed. Leaving them in too long they will burn.
sources: desarapen.blogspot.com, cooks.com, ph.answers.yahoo.com, forum.filipinorecipe.com