If you are new in the resin-based products business, it is best to start small scale in your own backyard. Assuming that you are to produce nativity set figurines, you will need a start-up capital of P 8,134 for five days of operation as follows:
- Working capital – P9,167.71
- Tools and other materials – P1,011.94
- Rubber mold – P482.37
Capital – P10,662.02
The working capital assumes that you will allocate part of the capital for raw materials and finished goods inventory.
The estimated cost of producing a nativity set is P230.63. With a mark-up of 20%, the selling price of the figurine is P 276.76. Assuming that in your first month of operation you could only produce and sell 6 sets of nativity set in one day, in 22 working days the following is your estimated sales and net income:
- Sales – P36,532.32
- Cost of sales – P30,443.16
- Net income – P6,089.16
To compute the return of investment (ROI) or the rate at which you could recover your investment, use the following formula:
- ROI = Net Income / Capital Invested = 6,089.16/10,662.02 = 57%
To compute the payback period (PP) or the period at which you could recover your investment, use the following formula:
- PP = Capital Invested / Net Income = 10,662.02/6,089.16 = 1.75 months or 39 working days.
The resin figurine is just one of numerous cast products. It is shaped from a mold made of casting materials like plaster of Paris.
A. Definition of Terms
- Model – A figurine or an existing product use to make the mold and casts. It is made of non-porous materials like porcelain, ceramic, hard wood and thick plastic.
- Mold – A negative reproduction of a model which is made by shaping silicone or synthetic rubber in the model. The silicone is mixed with a catalyst to hasten drying. There are two kinds of molds; the one-piece mold used to make a flat cast and the two-piece mold used to make a three-dimensional cast.
- Casting Materials – Materials shaped in the mold like a polyester resins, plaster of Paris and dental plaster. The polyester resin is mixed with a catalyst while the plaster of Paris and dental plaster are mixed with water.
- Catalyst – A chemical, also known as a hardener or curative, which speeds up drying and hardening resin.
- Curing Process – Chemical reactions that result in the drying and hardening of the mold and cast.
- Support or Reinforcement – A durable and flat base for the rubber mold. This ensures proper shaping of the casting material.
- Reproduction – A product formed and patterned after a model to the smallest detail of the design.
- Locks – Holds a corresponding nodules used to join halves of the rubber mold.
- Silicone Rubber – Also known as room temperature vulcanizing rubber or RTV used for making rubber molds.
- Pre-mixed Resin – Ready-to-use resin composed of pure resin mixed with styrene and cobalt at proportions 85 parts : 15 parts : 0.2 to 0.5 parts, respectively. Unlike the pure resin, pre-mixed resins are quick setting. Shelf -life is six months against one year of pure resin The used of pre-mixed resin is advisable for new resin users for better result and safety.
- Stop Sag – Powdered and chemical use to regulate the flow of the resin. Use up to 3% of the resin weight.
- Cobalt – A type of liquid hardener which hastens drying and hardening of the resin.
- Styrene Monomer – A thin liquid added to the resin to ensure smooth flow of the resin to all parts of the mold.
- China Talc – A filler use to lessen the coast of resin product. Usually 20% of resin weight.
- MEKP hardener (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide) – Most popular type of hardener because of its economy and use. Mix thoroughly into pre-mixed resin 1-3% by resin weight.
- Chopped Strand Fiberglass – Used as resin reinforcement at ratio of 3 parts resin : 1 part fiberglass.
Reminder: The volume of mold and casting materials depends on the actual size of your model. You may increase the volume of silicone rubber, resin or plaster of Paris but make sure that you follow the required proportions of hardener, catalyst or water.
For supplies and materials:
Polymer Products (Phil.) Inc.
11 Joe Borris St., Bo Bagong Ilog, Pasig City
Tel: 671-9837 to 39