- grated coconut
- refined sugar
- di-sodium phosphate
- expeller or press
- stainless steel cooking vessel
- stainless steel spoon or ladle
- blender or colloid mill
- can sealer
Packaging Material: 2T cans or sterilized glass jars with new PVC caps
- Mix grated coconut with water in the proportion of 1 part grated coconut to 1/2 part water.
- Extract milk using an expeller or press.
- Mix ‘sapal’ with water (1 part ‘sapal’ to 1/2 part water).
- Collect coconut milk extracts.
- Heat milk at 80-90°C (176-194°F) for 15 minutes and blend in a blender or colloid mill to break coagulated proteins.
- Add di-sodium phosphate in a concentration of 0.25% by volume of the milk.
- Add sugar at a ratio of 1 part milk to 1 part sugar.
- Mix well and cook to a total soluble solids content of 70% (use a refractometer to determine end point). Pour hot in clean containers.
- Seal completely.
- Cool and label.
source: mis.dost.gov.ph, photo from www.coconutsyrupphilippines.com