- 20 kg coconut skim milk
- 3 ¾ kg brown sugar
- 1 ¼ kg glucose
- citric acid (.025% by wt. of formulation)
- expeller or press
- centrifuge (separator)
- blender or colloid mill
- stainless steel cooking vessel
- stainless steel spoon or ladle
Packaging Material: Sterilized glass jars with new PVC caps
- Extract coconut milk as described under coco jam recipe 1 (steps 1-4).
- Store milk preferably in the cold to allow separation of cream from the water portion (skim milk). Collect the skim milk. (Separation may also be accomplished with the use of a centrifuge.)
- Add the sugar and stir well.
- Pour in the glucose.
- Mix well and boil mixture for 20 minutes.
- Blend or pass the mixture through a colloid mill or homogenizer at 1000 to 1500 psi.
- Strain thru a nylon mesh.
- Boil again.
- When almost done, add the citric acid previously dissolved in a small amount of skim milk.
- Continue boiling to an end point of 75 to 76% total soluble solid content. Use the refractometer to determine the end point. An alternative method is the cold water test in which a drop of the mixture forms a soft ball in cold water.
- Pour hot mixture in sterilized container. Cool and label.
source: mis.dost.gov.ph, photo from