Chicken nuggets is either a whole or composed from a paste of finely minced chicken and purposely added chicken skin, which is then coated in batter or breadcrumbs before being cooked. Fast-food restaurants typically deep-fry their nuggets in oil. Oven baking is the usual method of preparation at home.
Chicken nuggets are often made using a high proportion of chicken skin. This is because without the skin, the consistency would not be sticky enough for the nuggets to hold together. Food labeling law dictates that skin used to make the nugget need not be distinguishable from the muscle consumers normally think of when they hear the word “meat.” The remainder of the nugget is most likely to be made up of mechanically separated meat, with some processing additives such as anti-forming agents.
- 700 g Pork/chicken lean, ground finely
- 300 g Pork/chicken backfat, ground finely
- 1 tbsp Salt, refined
- 1 tsp Phosphate
- 1/4 cup Chilled water (to dissolve above 2 ingredients)
- 1/4 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
- 1 tbsp Isolate
- 1/2 tsp Caregeenan
In 1/4 cup water, add 1/4 cup TVP. Hydrate for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp carageenan and 1 tsp isolate
- 1 tbsp Sugar, refined
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp White pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic, fresh (or 1 tsp powder)
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Meat enhancer
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- Chill meat and backfat before grinding. Grind pork and backfat using a fine plate.
- Measure or weigh all the ingredients.
- Mix meat with backfat and mix with curing salt until tacky.
- Add hydrated extenders little by little until well blended.
- Finally, add the seasonings. Mix well.
- Form into shapes (rectangular, squares, etc.).
- Mixture maybe placed in rectangular container and freeze overnight. After freezing, cut into squares. Roll into breading.
Yield: 50 pcs. of 1″ x 1.5″
You can buy all meat processing ingredients at:
Ultima Entrepinoy Forum Center
Nutrition Foundation of the Philippines Bldg.
#107 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City
Tel: 411-1349; 742-0826; 742-7866
Email: [email protected]
author: Lourdes G. Rivera of Marid Digest, photo from www.freedigitalphotos.net