How to Make Catsup from Squash
- Select mature squash (kalabasa), peel, remove the core and slice into 1″ x 1″ size and weigh.
- Boil 4 cups of kalabasa slices in 4 cups water for 10 minutes.
- Drain the cooked squash, mash and place in Waring blender to come up with kalabasa puree.
- Boil the puree for two (2) minutes.
- Add all the catsup ingredients:
- 3/4 cup Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Citric acid
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- Separate 1/8 tsp. cloves and ¼ tsp. onion, and put in spice bag. Immerse the bag in the puree so that solid bits of spices will not mix with the catsup product.
- Add 0.5 gm or a pinch of sodium benzoate and 0.1 gm or one-half pinch of gum xanthan.
- Cook mixture for 30 minutes or until the catsup consistency is obtained under medium heating (50 – 60°C).
- Add 1/4 tsp ketchup red for a desirable color of the product.