The peculiar and characteristic flavor of canton sausage makes it one of the most popular sausages in the country. It can be eaten as a viand and adds flavor to other Filipino cuisines such as pancit, chopsuey, and chicken pastel.
I. Meat Materials:
- 700 gm – Pork lean, ground finely
- 300 gm – Pork backfat, ground finely
II. Curing Mix:
- 1 Tbsp – Salt, refined
- 1/2 tsp – Curing salt
- 1 tsp – Phosphate
- 1/4 tsp – Vitamin C powder
- 1/4 cup – Chilled water (to dissolve the 4 ingredients above)
- 1/2 tsp. carageenan dissolved in 1/4 water
- 8 Tbsp – sugar, refined
- 2 Tbsp – anisado wine
- 2 Tbsp – garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp – meat enhancer
- 1/4 tsp – smoked flavor
- as desired – Food color*
- 1/4 tsp – MSG
- 1 tsp – Paprika
- 1 tsp – chili powder
- 1/2 tsp – beef aroma
- 1 tsp – BF blend (added in the last mixing)
* Prepared by dissolving 1 tsp. of food color in 1/2 cup of water. This serve as the stock solution to be kept in the refrigerator. From this solution get 1-2 tsps.
V. Packaging materials:
- Natural hog casing or collagen casing (size 28-30)
- Polyethylene bags
- Select good quality raw material. Grind meat and backfat coarsely. Measure all ingredients.
- Add meat to the curing mix and mix until tacky, then add extenders and mix again.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix till well blended.
- Cure at room temperature for 8-10 hours or refrigerator temperature for one day.
- Stuffed into cleaned, fresh natural casing. Link to desired lengths (4 inches long).
- To develop the golden red color, dry under the sun for 4 hours or place the sausages in an artificial dryer for 2-3 days (temp. 110-120 F)
- Pack in Polyethylene bag (1/4 or 1/2 kg).
- Store in freezer if it is not thoroughly dried. If dried, for 3 days it can be kept hanging at room temperature for 2 weeks.
You can buy all the ingredients above at:
Ultima Entrepinoy Forum Center
Nutrition Foundation of the Philippines Bldg.
#107 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City
Tel: 411-1349; 742-0826; 742-7866
Email: [email protected]
source: Ultima Entrepinoy Forum Center