How to Make Candy from Sayote
- 1 kilo chayote
- 1/2 tsp. lime
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Wash, peel the chayote, remove core and slice lengthwise.
- Dissolve 1/2 tsp. lime in 4-1/2 cups water and soak the chayote in it for 3 hours.
- Drain, put in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain again.
- Put 1/2 cup sugar (for every kilo of sayote).
- Soak overnight, then drain next day.
- Put again 1/2 cup sugar, boil and soak the chayote in it.
- Drain, put the chayote in hot water.
- Add again 1/4 cup sugar to the syrup and boil until thick.
- Soak the chayote in this syrup for a few days.
- Drain, add hot water. Let dry.
- Cool, pack in plastic bag, seal.