How to Make Calamansi Flavored Marshmallow
- 3 tbsp Gelatin
- 1/4 cup Cold water
- 1/2 cup Warm water
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Light syrup
- 1 tbsp Gum arabic
- 1/4 tsp Calamansi oil
- Food color
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- fine mesh strainer
- Soak gelatin in cold water for about 10 to 15 minutes. Add food color if desired.
- Place warm water in a saucepan and add the sugar previously mixed with gum arabic. Heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Do not boil.
- Add the soaked gelatin and stir until it is dissolved.
- Add the corn syrup and heat the batch until stiff and fluffy. Add calamansi oil.
- Place the mixture in a plastic bag which has an open end at the side. Squeeze the bag to release a circular form marshmallow passing through the open end. Cut into desired sizes. This can also be done in a marshmallow molder.
- Cast the marshmallows into starch (containing not more than 8% moisture and previously heated to 32-35°C.
- Place trays containing the starch and marshmallows (previously starch-casted) under room temperature for 10 to 20 hours.
- After a slight crust has formed on the marshmallows, remove from the starch. If to be packed plain, dust with a combination of dry powdered sugar and dry starch.
- Let remain covered with the starch-sugar mixture for several hours before packing.
- Pack in plastic bag.