Cacharon or Cassava Chicharon is a nutritious snack prepared from cassava flour. The ingredients for cacharon are easily available and the procedure for its preparation is: (a) mix the cassava chips with other ingredients, (b) steam, (c) dry and make the ready-to-fry strips.
- 3 cups cassava flour
- 3/4 tbsp MSG (vetsin)
- 3/4 tbsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (bagoong)
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 500 ml cooking oil
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- rubber scraper
- flour sifter
- a pair of scissors
- aluminum tray
- mixing bowl
- wooden ladle
- oil strainer
- katsa cloth
- piece of cloth or rug
- drying rack
- frying pan
- Sift cassava flour to remove rough flour bits and other foreign particles. Use the aluminum tray to catch the fine flour.
- Place 3 cups of sifted cassava flour in mixing bowl.
- Mix together fish sauce, MSG and white pepper. Add this to the flour.
- Gradually add water to the flour and seasoning. Stir until batter mixture is smooth.
- Get a cup of cassava batter and pour into aluminum tray, spreading evenly to edges. Steam for 3 minutes.
- Put tray with cooked batter on the drying rack. Wash the aluminum tray before putting on it the next cup of cassava batter. Repeat procedure until all the cassava batter is steamed and dried.
- Sundry the pieces of steamed cacharon for 3 days. Once thoroughly dry, cut with a pair of scissors into a small rectangles 3/4″ x 1/2″ in size.
- Sundry the cacharon pieces for 1 1/2 days. Once the pieces are brittle and easily cracked, these are ready for frying.
- You can deep fry the cacharon for a snack or pack these in plastic as ready-to-fry snack food.
- You can derive 9 30-gram packs from this recipe.