- pork belly (liempo), 1 kg
- salt, 2 1/3 tbsp
- sugar,3/4 tbsp
- prague powder, 1/4 tsp
- ascorbic acid, 250 mg
- weighing scale
- chopping board
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoons
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Rub the ingredients on the skin side of the trimmed bacon, and then on the fleshly portion.
- Pack the slabs skin down on an enameled or non-corrosive container.
- Cure in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- After curing, soak the slabs for a few minutes in warm water.
- Drain the bacon.
- Smoke for 2 hours.
- Dry for 9 days.
- Slice thinly.
- Cook by frying in its own lard.
For meat processing ingredients, contact:
Ultima Entrepinoy Forum Center
Nutrition Foundation of the Philippines Bldg.
#107 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City
Tel: 411-1349; 742-0826; 742-7866
Email: [email protected]