Garlic powder is the product resulting from passing flakes or granules through a mill. In the absence of a mill, the flakes or granules can be pulverized using mortar and pestle followed by sifting operations. Passing the pulverized material through several sieve sizes will result to a fine garlic powder.
Steps in Garlic Powder Production
- Select garlic flakes/granules that are discolored, i.e. with evident dark brown discoloration.
- Pass the flakes.granules through a mill, in the absence of a mill, mortar and pestle can be used to pulverized the pieces.
- Strain the pulverized materials using sieve or an ordinary kitchen strainer.
- Pack the garlic powder in polyethylene bags or plastic jar, Seal, label and store.
The above steps should be done quickly as garlic powder easily absorbs moisture.
How to Use
- Sprinkle directly to dishes that need garlic.
The Bureau of Plant Industry has come up with a procedure for the production of garlic salt. Salt is believed to absorb the garlic oil in the chopped material enhancing flavor retention in the resulting product.
- Peel garlic and chop finely.
- Add salt, 1/5 of the weight of garlic, and mix.
- Spread on nylon screen and dry thoroughly under the sun or in a dehydrator.
- Pack in plastic bag and seal.
An adaptable technology for the processing of garlic into flakes, granules and powder has been developed by Abadilla, (1989).