Generally, fruitcake is a mixture of fruits and nuts with just enough batter to hold them together. When wrapped in cloth and foil, saturated with alcoholic liquors regularly, and kept in in tightly closed tins, a fruitcake may be kept for months or even years.
Fruitcake is most often cherished during Christmas Holidays. The taste of Fruitcake is at its best when aged for a few months in a cool place. Here is a lengthy yet fool-proof Fruitcake recipe you can try this Christmas.
If there are certain fruits you don’t like, you can always include more of another, or some of your own favorites. Dried fruits cooked in juice can take the place of candied fruits, and seeds can replace nuts.
Rich Holiday Fruit Cake
- 1/2 cup seedless white raisins
- 2/3 cup candied red kaong
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup seedless dark raisins
- 2/3 cup candied pineapple
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Rinse and drain raisins; mix with other fruits and nuts.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and orange rind.
- Sift flour and salt together; stir into creamed mixture.
- Stir raisins, fruits and nuts into batter.
- Grease 7- by 3- by 2-inch pan. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in oven with small pan of water on lower rack at 275 °F for 2 hours* or until cake is done.
Yield: 2-pound cake.
Golden Fruitcake Recipe
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs or 5 medium eggs
- 3 cups all purpose four
- 1/2 cup flour (to dredge fruits and nuts)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoon prune juice
- 3 tablespoons Molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (mix in molasses)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamom
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 1/2 cups nuts or combination of walnuts, pecan, cashew, pili)
- 1 1/2 cups dates
- 1 1/2 cups fruit glaze
- 1/2 cup cherry brandy
- Extra Cherries, fruit glaze,nuts for decorating on top of cake
- Cherry brandy to brush top of the cake
a. Fruit Mix
- Soak fruits in 1/2 cup cherry brandy overnight.
- Drain the fruits for one hour.
b. Preparing the Baking pan
- Don’t use waxpaper. Use thick cellphane (1 piece only). Use enough to cover the cake after baking.
- You can also use aluminum. It could be more messy but more sure.
- Heat oven to slow.
- Cream shortening. Add sugar slowly until fluffy.
- Beat in egg one at a time, beating after each addition until light.
- Blend flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg.
- Stir in alternately with milk, molasses, juices and vanilla beginning and ending with flour.
- Add half cup of flour to fruit mixture.
- The batter is then mixed to the fruits. Add the nuts on top of the batter.
- Put batter in cellophane lined or 4 aluminum lined pans.
- Bake for one hour at 300 F. Check the temperature based on the pan you use. Baking time can be as short as 45 minutes to 1 hour at 325 F.
- At 45 minutes baking time, remove pans from oven and decorate top with cherries, buts and fruits.
- Cover pan with overlapping aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Return pans into the oven and bake 15 more minutes until done.
d. After Baking
- Keep cellophane or aluminum intact with the cake
- Brush the top of the cake with cherry brandy after baking and the cake has cooled down
- Wrap the whole cake with the overlapping cellophane or aluminum , then more aluminum foil to cover the whole cake ending with colored cellophane.
- It’s important to drain the fruit mix for 1 hour. This drain the alcohol which can destroy the cake batter.
- Never use peanuts but do use pili, cashew, walnuts, or black walnuts.
- The batter is mixed to the fruits so that the emulsion in the batter is not destroyed.
Easy Fruit Cake Recipe
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1-2/3 cups (400 ml) sugar
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml). nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cloves
- 1 cup (225 ml) applesauce
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) mixed fruit
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped pecans
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped black walnuts
- 1 cup (225 ml) raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (175 C.).
- Mix flour, sugar, butter and eggs.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into 3 9 inch greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 35 minutes or until done.
- Cool on racks.
sources: southernfood.about.com, filipinovegetarianrecipe.com, pinoyfoodblog.com, myasp-net.com, photo from www.freedigitalphotos.net