“Value added products” from fish are the trend of the future. They showed an increased worldwide consumption and responded to the rapid change in consumer lifestyle.
Minced fish-meat is an excellent source of protein.
Minced fish is the flesh separated in a comminuted form from the skin, bones, scales and fins of a wide range of fish species. The fish species commonly used are threadfin bream, coral fish, small snapper and other marine fishes with good gel forming ability and white meat color. Moreover, tilapia, milkfish and carp were recently developed into value-added products.
Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Good quality ice should be used in icing the fish, maintain the temperature from 0 to 5°C during transport and to keep them in good quality.
- Containers used in packaging the fish should be non-corrosive or should be made from corrosion resistant material, which is smooth and cleanable.
- The fish should be protected from direct sunlight.
- Transfer of fish from the pond, cages or pens should be as quickly as possible to avoid stress.
2. Scaling, Gutting and Beheading
- Scaling, gutting and beheading should be carried out immediately. They should be washed properly to prevent the onset of bacterial spoilage.
- All guts and entrails should be immediately removed in the area or it should be quickly dispoed to prevent bacterial accumulation.
3. Filleting and Washing
- Knives should be sharp to ensure faster work and to achieve a smooth fish flesh.
- Fish for filleting should be kept chilled at 0 to 5°C at all times.
- Filleting and slicing should be done properly, should not stay longer in working table and chill easily.
4. Scraping of meat/mincing or chopping
- Utensils such as chopping boards, knives used should be non-corrosive and easy to clean and sanitized.
- The fish should be kept in ice and maintained at low temperature at all times.
5. Leaching of minced fish
- Use of non-corrosive utensils and containers.
- Water used for leaching should be kept as low as possible to prevent the growth of microorganisms.
6. Mixing of ingredients
- Ingredients used should be of food grade quality.
- Equipment used for mixing should be cleaned and sanitized to avoid contamination.
7. Forming into balls, patties and nuggets
- Forming utensils used should be regularly washed and sanitized after used.
8. Battering and Breading
- Ingredients for battering should be of food grade quality.
- Adequate breading material should be used to ensure proper coating of the product.
9. Chilling and Freezing
- The battered and breaded products should be stored at freezing temperature to keep its good quality.