This ripe, sun dried mangoes is good for snacks and desserts. It has a chewy consistency that makes its taste linger in your mouth.
- 10 kg firm ripe mangoes
- 1.8 kg refined sugar
- 4 liter water
- 10 g sodium metabisulfite
- Stainless steel peeler
- Stainless steel knife
- Chopping board
- Colander or strainer
- Cabinet dryer
- Polyethylene bags
- Wash mangoes thoroughly.
- Peel using stainless steel peeler.
- Slice diagonally about 5/16 of an inch thick.
- Prepare syrup by mixing sugar, water and sodium metabisulfite.
- Heat the syrup then add the mango slices. Heat until 90 °C
- Soak mangoes in syrup for 6 hours overnight.
- Drain the mangoes from the syrup.
- Spread on trays and dry at 45-55 °C for at least 18 hours.
- Sweat in cheesecloth overnight.
- Pack in polyethylene bags and seal.
source: BPI – NMRDC San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras, photo from www.freedigitalhotos.net