Angelfish is a freshwater ornamental fish with laterally compressed round body and elongated triangular shaped dorsal and anal fins.
It is a piscivorous species that prey on small fish and other macro-invertebrates. It is a hardy species and can attain a maximum size of 12-15cm in length. It is one of the species with high demand in the local and foreign markets.
Construction of Net Cages
- Construct 20 units of 1m x 3m net cages.
- Drain the pond.
- Level the pond bottom and dry for 5 days.
- Apply fertilizer (chicken manure) at a rate of 1,500 kg/ha or 150 grams/m2.
- Fill the pond with water up to one meter depth after five days of fertilization.
Installation of Cages
- Install net cages in the pond by tying the top and bottom sides in the G.I. pipes.
- Measure and weigh angelfish fingerlings before stocking.
- Stock the fish in cages early in the morning at 40 pcs/m2.
Feed angelfish with commercial feeds (PO2) twice daily by broadcast method at the following rates: Culture period (mo.) = Feeding Rate (% body weight)
Formula for Daily Feeding Ration
Daily Feed Ration (DFR) = ABW x N x FR
- Where: ABW = ave. body wt. of fish
- N = total no. of fish
- FR = Feeding rate or percent body weight
- for 120 pcs. angelfish with an
- average wt. of 2g @ 10% FR
- DFR = 2g x 120 x 10%
- DFR = 24g
Change 20% of the water volume weekly.
Maintain the following water quality parameters:
- pH = 7.8
- dissolve oxygen = 3-5mg/L
- Temperature = 25-30 °C
Monthly Evaluation of Stocks
- Weigh at least 10 pcs angelfish for feed adjustment purposes.
- Harvest angelfish after three months of culture. This should be done early in the morning to avoid stress in the fish.
- Record the number of stocks.
- Condition the fish in tanks for marketing.
- Culture (cropping period) – 3months
- No. of cropping/year – 3 Croppings
- Stocking density – 40 pcs/m²
- Survival rate – 90%
- No. of net cages – 20 units (1m x 3m x 1m)
- Pond area (existing) – 200m²
- 1 unit water pump = P 30,000.00
- 1 unit oxygen tank = 3,000.00
- 3.5 bundle B-net (single width at P3,500.00/bundle) = 12,250.00
- 3 rolls P.E. rope at P250.00/roll = 750.00
- 8 rolls nylon twine #1 at P25.00/roll = 200.00
- 2 pcs scoop net = 900.00
- Tubs and pails = 1,500.00
- 17 pcs G.I. pipe at P350.00/pc = 5,950.00
- Total = P 54,550.00
- 2,400 pcs angelfish fingerlings at P2.00/pc = P 4,800.00
- 20 kg Prawn feed at P71.00/kg = 1,562.00
- 45 L gasoline at P32.00/L = 1,440.00
- 1 sack chicken manure at P60.00/sack = 60.00
- 2 bundles plastic bags at P575.00/bundle = 1,150.00
- Labor for the construction of 20 cages at P220.00/cage = 4,400.00
- Labor for the cutting of G.I. pipe = 340.00
- Labor for the installation of pipes and cages = 1,000.00
- 1 caretaker at P4,000.00/month = 12,000.00
- 2 laborers during harvest at P400.00/each = 800.00
- Total = P 27,552.00
- 2,400 X 90% survival = 2,160 pcs at P20.00/pc P 43,200.00
- P43,200.00 – P27,552.00 = P 15,648.00
ROI = P15,648.00 ÷ P27,552.00 x P100 = 56.79%
For more information, please contact:
BFAR Region 4A RFRDC – Freshwater Fisheries Research Station
Bambang, Los Baños, Laguna
Tel.: (049) 827-3612