CASSAVA CAKE RECIPE #1
Ingredients: (Serves 8-10)
- 500 g Fresh cassava root
- 3 Eggs
- 150 g Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Melted butter, plus additional for brushing
- 500 ml Thin coconut milk
- 1-2 sheets Banana leaves
- 300 ml Sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Egg yolks
- 250 ml Coconut cream
- 60 g Butter
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 190 °C (375 °F). Peel and grate the cassava to obtain 4 cups. Set aside.
- Beat eggs until foamy. Add sugar, salt and melted butter. Blend in cassava and thin coconut milk.
- Wilt the banana leaves by holding over an open flame for several seconds. Line a 23 x 32 cm baking tray with the banana leaves. Brush banana leaves with butter. Pour in the cassava mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- To make the Topping combine condensed milk, egg yolks, coconut cream and butter in a double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 20-25 minutes. Stir in lemon zest then set aside.
- Take the cassava cake out of the oven after 20 minutes and spread Topping on it.
- Return cassava cake to oven and bake another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven when the topping turns golden brown and a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
CASSAVA CAKE RECIPE #2
This is a classic Filipino dessert enjoyed year round. I hope you enjoy it! Most of the ingredients can be found in an oriental store near you.
- 2 lbs grated cassava
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (Reserve 1/3 cup for Topping)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (Reserve 1/3 cup for Topping)
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut cream (Reserve 1/3 cup for Topping)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, plus
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup grated coconut
Topping: 3 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- In large mixing bowl combine cake ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour equally into two large greased rectangular pans.
- Bake until top is no longer liquid (approximately 30 minutes).
- Mix topping ingredients well and spread evenly on the two cakes.
- Bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cool cakes completely.
- Slice each cake into 24 equal squares.
source: different recipe sites