The Abalone Cage
- The initial capitalization for establishing an abalone farm is minimal as compared to other marine species.
- The cage module is very much affordable even by the small-scale fish farmer.
- The cage is made up of empty 20 lit, capacity black-plastic containers enclosed with various types of netting to prevent escape of the stock or entrance of unwanted species.
- The other side of the container is being opened by removing one of the walls.
- Two inches-diameter holes were punched around to facilitate effective water circulation.
- 20-liter plastic container
- 17x200x2 PE Nett
- A-40 Black PE Screen
- Rubber floats No. 02
- 1/2-inch dia. PE pipe
- PE Rope no. 2, 4, 10
- No. 06 GI wire
- Nylon zipper
- Punch holes at 2″ diameter around the container.
- Cut 8″x10″ opening at the other side of container. This is to facilitate ease of feeding and routine maintenance.
- Divide horizontally 2 pcs rubber floats.
- Measure and cut 2 pcs 180 cm long Gl wire (No. 6) and form a circle, connect both ends with no. 2 PE rope.
- Cut 2 pcs 5″ long 1/2″ dia. PE hose. This will serve as spacer between the net and the container.
- Cut 180 cm A-40 net (For nursery) or 60×123 mesh 17x200x2 PE netting (for grow-out).
- Using a No. 2 PE rope, attach vertically both end of the net to form a tube.
- Count 17 mesh (for grow out) or measure 25cm (for nursery) from both edge of the of the net attach the PC. 6 Gl wire ring and fasten with the no. 2 PE rope.
- Using the No. 10 PE rope insert first single previously cut rubber floats. Then, insert 1 five inch long PE pipe and followed by another rubber floats.
- Pass thru the 10mm dla holes at the upper and bottom section of three containers being stocked together one after the other with the no 10 PE rope previously used to connect the rubber floats and the PE pipe.
- At the bottom part of the container, repeat procedure (a), After inserting the last rubber float to the no. 10 PE rope create a knot leaving 12 inches portion of the rope. (This section will be the bottom part of the cage.
- Install inside of the net the assembled container and pass thru the bottom part of the net the remaining 12 in No. 10 PE rope, Create a lock by tying the tower portion of the net with no. 4 PE rope. Take note that your abalone will not pass thru into any openings of the net.
- Select 1/2 kilo stone and cover it with any type of net and fasten with no 10 PE rope at the part of the cage. (This will se as the weights). Be sure always that the weights should be situated at the center of the cage.
- On one side of the net along the side opening of the container, sew 1m long nylon zipper (monofilament nylon). This will serve as opening during feeding and maintenance of the cage.
The main station and hatchery of Aquatech is located at Brgy. Trapiche, Oton, IloIlo, 12.5 kms. South of IloIlo City. Aquatech also maintain a station situated at Tinagong Dagat Brgy. Plandico, Concepcion, IloIlo, 112 kms. North of IloIlo City. This station is intended for grow-out verification for cage culture of various marine species
For more information, contact:
The Aquaculture Techno-Center
Ceil Nos. 0918-7828221/ 0917-3110563
Tel. : (033) 396-0896, Fax: (033) 336-1459
Email: [email protected]
Look for: Mr. Rey Aranda Acap and Mr. Rene Ledesma Magalona, Jr.
author: Rey Aranda Acap, photos from atlantide-france.com, pagesperso-orange.fr