- 1 kilo chicken thighs or breast de-boned
- 1 tsp. annatto powder
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 head garlic, crushed (optional)
- cooking oil
- In a bowl combine annatto powder, sugar and garlic.
- Coat evenly each piece of meat with the mixture.
- In a container with cover, pile chicken pieces one on top of the other.
- Cover and keep refrigerated for 2 to 3 days to cure.
- In a frying pan fry to medium heat each chicken pieces in batches for 3 to 5 minutes each side or until coating caramelize.
Commercial Tocino Recipe
Meat: 1kg Chicken breast or drumstick
Extenders: Dissolve 1 tsp carageenan in 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp Salt, refined
- 1/2 tsp Curing salt
- 1 tsp Phosphate (dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
- 1/4 tsp Vitamin C powder
- 9-12 tbsp Sugar, refined
- 2 tbsp Garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Anisado wine
- 1/4 cup Pineapple juice
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1/2 tsp Meat enhancer
- 1 tsp Food color (allura red) *
* Dissolve 1 tsp allura red powder in ¼ cup water [stock solution of food color].
- Select good quality chicken meat.
- Prepare curing mix, extenders and seasonings.
- Mix meat with the curing mix until it dries up and add the carageenan with 1/4 cup water.
- Mix again and add seasonings.
- Cure at room temperature for 8-10 hours or in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Pack in styrofoam with cling wrap or in polyethylene plastic bag and put in the freezer.
Yield: 1.0 kg = 1.3 kgs
sources: overseaspinoycooking.net, da.gov.ph, photo from bambinocooks.wordpress.com